Dental Crowns and Bridges – Ormond Beach, FL
Restore Your Smile with Lifelike Solutions
When your tooth is significantly damaged or even missing altogether, you’ll need some kind of restorative solution to keep your smile beautiful and healthy. Dental crowns and bridges have been a classic treatment for decades. Dr. Andrew Nawrocki, Dr. Kimberly Dennis, and the rest of our team always take the time to ensure your restoration looks natural, feels comfortable, and protects your smile from damage for years to come. Contact our office today to make your smile good as new again!
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a custom-made covering, or “cap,” that fits over an original tooth that is decayed, damaged, or cracked. While crowns can be made from a variety of materials, such as gold, dentists today have been increasingly switching to metal-free materials, such as ceramic or porcelain. These tooth-colored materials can be customized to blend in with the rest of your smile so that no one outside of our team even has to know you had dental work done!
The most common reason to place a dental crown is when decay has damaged a tooth to the degree where a filling is not enough to restore it. However, teeth that are cracked, chipped, or otherwise broken due to injury may also require a crown. These personalized restorations are designed to protect against future damage, but they can also be used to cover a dental implant or protect a tooth that has been treated with root canal therapy.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
The primary benefit of dental crowns is their ability to restore your tooth back to its full function. Without the protection of a crown, your tooth would continue to be exposed to damage until it has to be extracted. Since missing teeth come with a whole host of oral health problems, it’s always best to heal a tooth whenever possible instead of removing it.
In addition, dental crowns can improve your bite by evening it out. If left untreated, uneven bites can place unnecessary stress on your jaw joints and speed up wear and tear on your tooth enamel, increasing your risk of cavities and sensitivity.
What Are Dental Bridges?
A dental bridge is a restoration that is designed to replace one or more missing teeth in a row. The device is fixed, meaning only a dentist can remove it. This means there’s no need to take it out for daily cleaning. The two main types of dental bridges are:
- Fixed Bridge – This consists of one or more filler teeth (pontics) that are attached to two or more crowns, which fit over the existing teeth and hold the bridge in place.
- Implant Bridge – Pontics can be connected to dental implants so that teeth may be replaced without needing support from adjacent teeth as with a traditional fixed bridge. The implant's roots also help to better preserve the jawbone and keep it healthy and strong.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
No matter which type of dental bridge you choose, it can offer multiple benefits, such as:
- They prevent your adjacent teeth from shifting to fill in the gap.
- They restore your ability to chew all of your favorite crunchy foods.
- Each bridge is custom-made to resemble a natural part of your smile.
- With proper care, your bridge can last 10-15 years before it needs a replacement.