How Do You Treat Gum Disease?
Gum disease (also known as periodontal disease) is all-too-common among adult patients, and while it may seem relatively harmless in the beginning, untreated cases can quickly grow out of control and cause permanent damage. In fact, gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss among American adults. That’s why Dr. Nawrocki and our talented hygienists here in Ormond Beach, FL will make every effort to catch and treat gum disease at its earliest stages of development. Our available services include:
- Scaling and root planning is an in-depth cleaning that goes beyond the traditional scope of regular appointments. Our team will target dangerous bacteria and plaque that has gathered underneath the gum tissue, as well as along the rough surfaces of tooth roots.
- Antibiotic therapy is also regularly recommended in conjunction with scaling and root planning and other periodontal procedures. By applying medication to the gum tissue, our goal is to eliminate any bacteria that may have remained after the initial treatment and improve your oral health to an even greater level.
How Do I Know if I Have Gum Disease?
- Does your gum tissue regularly bleed after brushing or flossing?
- Does your gum tissue look strangely red or overly swollen? Does it feel tender to the touch?
- Do your teeth look longer than they used to?
- Have you noticed a recent shift in the feel of certain teeth or your overall bite?
- Are you experiencing severe bad breath, even after practicing oral hygiene?
While these symptoms are common, it’s important to remember that gum disease may not be noticeable to the untrained eye early on. That’s why attending regular checkups and cleanings with a trusted dental team is so crucial for the ongoing preservation of oral health. Contact us today to schedule your first appointment. Our office is open to patients from Orange Port, FL and other surrounding areas.