You can’t put a price on the benefits of having white teeth. Society attributes a beautiful smile to youth, confidence, and success. However, teeth come in many shades and several factors affect their color over time, like drinking a lot of coffee. There are many DIY methods said to provide noticeable results, but few are effective. Not to mention, some can damage your smile permanently. Here’s why you should skip the risks of home teeth whitening hacks.
Risks of DIY Teeth Whitening
Over-the-counter whitening products come in many forms, but they all have one thing in common. They do not contain professional-grade whitening ingredients, so they will produce minimal improvement that will not last.
You can also find many do-it-yourself whitening remedies online to combat tooth discoloration, but you could place your smile at risk of serious damage. Here are just a few risks of using DIY whitening solutions:
- Not all stains are the same. Many things can cause tooth discoloration, which require a unique approach to treat. Some stains cannot be resolved using teeth whitening.
- Not everyone is a candidate. Although whitening products are safe when used by the manufacturer’s guidelines, not everyone is a candidate. You must have healthy teeth and gums before using any whitening solution or you can worsen underlying dental problems.
- You can damage your enamel. It’s easy to overuse DIY solutions to attempt to reach your goals, which can damage your enamel. Not to mention, some at-home whitening remedies are abrasive, which can wear away your enamel. Once your enamel is lost, it’s gone for good.
- You can develop tooth sensitivity. Overusing whitening products or abrasive solutions can erode your enamel, which can lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Discoloration can worsen. If your enamel is too thin, it can cause more of your yellowish dentin to be visible, which can make your teeth look aged.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
If you want to reveal a white smile, it’s better to skip the risks and visit your cosmetic dentist. They will examine your mouth to ensure your teeth and gums are healthy and determine the source of your discoloration to ensure a whitening treatment will meet your needs. Based on the results of your consultation, they may recommend:
- In-Office Teeth Whitening: You can get your teeth up to 8 shades whiter in about 1 hour using an in-office whitening treatment.
- Take-Home Teeth Whitening: You can achieve in-office results from the comfort of your home using a professional-grade whitening system for 2 weeks.
- Porcelain Veneers: Veneers can cover stubborn stains while improving several other issues, like chips and gaps.
A dazzling smile is possible using the latest solutions in cosmetic dentistry.
About Dr. Kimberly Dennis
Dr. Dennis earned her dental degree at the University of Florida College of Dentistry and has regularly continued her education in various specialties, like prosthodontics, oral biology, and cosmetic dentistry. Dr. Dennis is a proud member of many professional organizations, including the American Dental Association. If you’re ready to invest in your best smile, request an appointment through our website or call (386) 310-0130.